Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + There is only one timeline....

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 02-03-10, 09:43 PM   #1
LostViking
Plunderer
Squishes the Frog

+ There is only one timeline....

I don't think we saw a paradox or a multiple timeline. In fact, I think we just saw the ending of Lost in the premier. The scene of all of them getting off the plane, resuming their lives as if nothing happened is how the show ends. What we are missing is the middle of this final chapter.

If this were multiple timelines, they would have to exists in the same time frame but in different universes. That is not the case at all. One timeline is taking place Post hatch explosion 2007+and the other is taking place in 2004.

I think what we saw was not a flash forward or backward - but sideways to the end - the corrected timeline without the island influence. In the corrected universe, Hurley is still lucky, but he wins the Lotto without the 'numbers', and nothing bad happens to him. Without the island's influence Boone heads home without his sister and Kate is still a fugitive.

What is my evidence for this - Jack. He was surprised at how he looked, how he suddenly had a red mark on his neck, at why he thought he knew Desmond, yet he didn't. This all tells me there is more to the story-more steps to get to that final scene of them continuing their lives as if nothing happened. But it is not simply the second 2004 timeline picking up right after the bomb exploding. Otherwise Jacks behavior would not make sense - nor would his red neck mark. There was clearly purpose in showing us that.

I am guessing that this season will be dedicated to how the Losties fulfill Jack's dream of resetting everything. We know he is successful, since we just saw the outcome. But the how is what we are going to see this season.

Last edited by LostViking; 02-25-10 at 09:55 PM.
LostViking is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-10, 09:59 PM   #2
LostViking
Plunderer
Squishes the Frog

Re: There is only one timeline....

I know this is not a popular theory, but everything we have seen so far in this season proves this to be correct - by not disproving it.

Each character is finding redemption in the flashsideways. Each character becomes whole again. What was wrong is corrected. Over and over - thats the theme of each flashsideways.

So what does this mean for Lost? How are these two timelines tied together? I predict by the season finale something the Losties do on the island allows the island to never have been part of their lives or their parent's lives. It was under the water the whole time. Then we will all have that "Ah-ha" moment when we realize we have just seen how that all turns out.

They all would have met each other anyway. They all find redemption. They are all "cured".
Old 02-25-10, 10:02 PM   #3
Houkou
ಠ_ಠ
Drinks Dharma Beer

Well, so far Shannon is apparently still with the abusive boyfriend, Rose is dying from terminal cancer, and Kate is still on the run, alone, wanted for murder... not everyone seems to be "cured" so far.
You know, and so am I

Twilight, free my soul
Goodnight... 'time I go
Houkou is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-10, 10:09 PM   #4
LostViking
Plunderer
Squishes the Frog

Rose dying may not be what makes her 'un-whole'. Plus, are we really going to call her a main character?

Shannon - Perhaps she gets out of the relationship without Boone's intervention.

We haven't seen all of season one. SO far Kate, Claire, Hurley, Jack, Japanese pony tail guy, Locke, and Ben have truly become whole.

I look forward to Juliet, Sawyer, Jin&Sun, and Sayid.

(I have to wonder if Jack will turn out to have an ex-wife named Juliet)
Old 02-25-10, 10:15 PM   #5
justanotherlostfan
Follows the Cable

So....combining this theory with the concept of Jacob looking for a replacement......Who could still be the replacement for Jacob?....or I suppose, since the island is sunk, Jacob is not replaced.

Hurley, Sawyer, Kate, Sun and Jin, Jack, Sayid are all on the plane...so I guess, none of them end up replacing Jacob on the island. I guess that means Jacob is not replaced.....
justanotherlostfan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-10, 10:22 PM   #6
LostViking
Plunderer
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherlostfan View Post
So....combining this theory with the concept of Jacob looking for a replacement......Who could still be the replacement for Jacob?....or I suppose, since the island is sunk, Jacob is not replaced.

Hurley, Sawyer, Kate, Sun and Jin, Jack, Sayid are all on the plane...so I guess, none of them end up replacing Jacob on the island. I guess that means Jacob is not replaced.....
Sorry, I don't believe Jacob is looking for a replacement. He is looking to get to the end.

The "end" being a world where free choice rules and determinism does not. That is what lost was always about.
Old 02-26-10, 02:06 AM   #7
jereopaq
Flashes Back

Single timeline?? How do you explain Ben making coffee in a teacher's lounge with John Locke when Ben should have died in the H-bomb explosion as a child hanging out with the others at their camp? Same with Dogen (assuming he was on-island at the time of the H-bomb explosion in 1977)? Ethan prolly got off the island in the sub prior to the explosion.
jereopaq is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-10, 08:01 AM   #8
treesong
Really?
Sees Walt

Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
(I have to wonder if Jack will turn out to have an ex-wife named Juliet)
Ah, the last scene of Lost: Jack gets hit by a bus.

Quote:
Sorry, I don't believe Jacob is looking for a replacement. He is looking to get to the end.
I think they are the same.

The Constant
DANIEL: Something familiar in both times. All this, see this, is all variables. It's random. It's chaotic. Every equation needs stability, something known. It's called a constant. Desmond, you have no constant. When you go to the future, nothing there is familiar. If you want to stop this, th, then you need to find something there. Something that you really, really care about, that also exists back here, in 1996.
The Variable
DANIEL: Us. We're the variables. People. We think. We reason. We make choices. We have free will. We can change... our destiny. I think I can negate that energy under the Swan. I think I can destroy it. If I can, then that hatch will never be built... and your plane... your plane will land, just like it's supposed to, in Los Angeles.
The Substitute
MIB AS LOCKE: At some point in your life, James, probably when you were young, when you were miserable and vulnerable, he came to you. He manipulated you. Pulled your strings like you were a puppet and as a result, choices that you thought you made were never really choices at all. He was pushing you, James. Pushing you [pause] to the island.
Jacob has been altering the values of some variables. He substituted new values into the equation. And I think his goal is to find an equation where the Island and he no longer play a role. A replacement.

And his problem has been what Daniel faced: you can't just tell people what to do, because of some undesirable outcome. Daniel telling young Charlotte to never go to the Island, and older Charlotte dying in front of his eyes, those events were linked. You have to change the values all at once.

So, are we seeing one timeline, one equation? I think so. But we are seeing two sets of values. One set has the original timeline as outcome, where the Jacob/Island-variable has a large value. In the other set, the Jacob/Island-variable can be considered to be eliminated from the equation.

I'm reminded of Boone's vision quest in Hearts and Minds. Whether it was a hallucination or real, we can view it as an "alternate reality". Locke told him that it was as real as he made it. And in the end, Boone chose one over the other. Boone is, however, not so interesting here. Shannon is. She had two values, one chit-chatting with Sayid on the beach, and one chit-chatting with Boone.

Dave
[We see Dave and Hurley walking through the jungle.]
HURLEY: So this is all just in my brain?
DAVE: Every rock, every tree. Every tree frog. Even me. The real me -- the one they told you was imaginary? He went out the window, man. Right now he's probably bouncing from hot chick to hot chick, unlike me, who's really you, who's got more important things to do.
HURLEY: So I'm making you up?
DAVE: Well, sort of. I'm part of your subconscious, man. All the people on this island are.
HURLEY: What part of me are you?
DAVE: I'm the part of you that wants to wake up, man. Follow me.
[We see them arrive at a high cliff above the ocean.]
DAVE: This is it, dude.
HURLEY: It?
DAVE: The big finale. The answer to all your problems. A way for you to wake up, snap out of it.
HURLEY: I don't want to kill myself.
DAVE: Who said anything about killing yourself, man? This is going to bring you back to life. The only way for you to bust out is to tell your mind
that you don't believe any of this.
HURLEY: So, if I -- all this will be gone? I'll just wake up?
DAVE: That's right. And when you do wake up, come find me. I'm sure I miss you. See you in another life, Hurley.
[Dave backs up to the edge of the cliff and lets himself fall backwards, laughing all the way down.]
HURLEY: Dave!!
Reality as we, or at least I, know it, doesn't seem to work this way. Sometimes you can have these half-awake dreams, that seem very real, almost as if you could live out your life in it. But you're aware it's a dream. What if you were not? And what if that dream wasn't just in your own mind, but you were connected to other people having have the same dream? What if you all decided that the dream was real?

For this to work, you would need the following:

1) Two realities existing at the same time. I think Daniel, or the quantum physics he referred to, imply as much.

2) Consciousness, subconsciousness, &c, needs to be a viable physical entity. We have consciousness travel, so I'd say check.

3) People need to be connected via this (sub)consciousness. Besides Dave's little explanation, we also have Locke's vision quest, where he picked up conversations that Sawyer and Kate had at the same time. I'd say, check again.

4) If these (sub)consciousnesses experience two realities, they need to decide which one is real (home), and which one is imaginary (a dream). (Well, or live out two lives.) I'd say that we have to see this yet, but that the signs are there to make this likely.

I'm not sure that the Island can ever really be destroyed, but maybe it can be pushed away to the realm of myth and legend. A story people tell each other. A story they may want to believe, but which they never do, because they don't need it. Who needs paradise, or an advanced sunken civilization, when life is good as it is?

In season 5 we visited the harbor with the boat "Illusion" several times. Rose's temp agency office was filled with "dream" posters. Which "reality" is which has yet to be decided, it seems. Maybe these two both need to exist, but I'd like it if one can be chosen over the other, by taking a leap of faith.

Would that be a fitting answer to the free will/destiny question? You can choose destiny, but since everything is connected, within that destiny your free will may not be as free as you'd like it to be. And the choice is not yours alone, for you live in other people's subconsciousness, and they live in yours.

Quote:
The "end" being a world where free choice rules and determinism does not. That is what lost was always about.
I don't think Lost ever took sides. Why would it now?

I'm a "free will" man myself, but that is partly because I want it to be that way.

If we shoot a rocket into space at the speed of light, and it returns in the future, then the person in it will find a world that is shaped by our actions. But for that person's personal timeline, he got there before we actually shaped it. Space-time as continuum. It's a landscape, and however we try to influence it, our actions, alone, may not amount to a hill of beans.

(LV, I guess we need a cute girl to make that last line work better.)

- .... .- -. -.- / -.-- --- ..- --..-- / -.. --- --. -- .- -.-.--
What do you see?

treesong: I'll put it under all my flaming posts
scotpgot: LMAO

Member of the League Against "scot's mom jokes."
treesong is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-10, 02:41 PM   #9
see you in the next life
Curtis, DHARMA Disciple
Sees Walt

Quote:
If this were multiple timelines, they would have to exists in the same time frame but in different universes. That is not the case at all. One timeline is taking place Post hatch explosion 2007+and the other is taking place in 2004.

I am curious as to why you think this is so.

Couldn't it simply be that from a storytelling perspective it was logical to pick up in the alternate timeline from the moment the plane arrived. If they arbitrarily skipped ahead to 2007 in that timeline we'd all be asking what the hell happened from 2004 til then.

I really do think that from a storytelling perspective it makes perfect sense to do what they have done.

It never occurred to me that anyone would think the timelines were not in "synch" for this reason.

For me personally I'd want to know (in the alt timeline) what happened begining from the very moment when there was a difference, namely, when the plane didn't break apart.

Ofcourse, I could be wrong.

"Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself. We are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self, a secretion of sensory experience and feeling programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody's nobody."
see you in the next life is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-10, 03:00 PM   #10
iWonder
Pessimistic Optimist
Talks Backwards

Quote:
I think what we saw was not a flash forward or backward - but sideways to the end - the corrected timeline without the island influence.
The problem I have wrapping my head around a single timeline is that there was an uncorrected timeline with the island influence.

So, our first 5 seasons brought us through 2004-2007. Now, we're picking back up again in 2004 with a totally different set of parameters. How can they be happening at the same time? How can the island be both underwater and not underwater at the same time? How can Ben--at the same age-- be on the island but in a teacher's lounge at the same time? Or any of the characters for that matter. When we were in 1977 I could buy it since they were children vs. adults...

I don't think this sideways end is 2007+ because all of the date markers we see referenced say it is 2004 again.

Frankly, every time I try to think about this stuff it makes my head throb.
iWonder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »