Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + Moving The Island Back In Time = Losties Becoming Dharma Residents

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 05-17-08, 07:15 AM   #1
The Man Behind The Fate
Pushes the Button

+ Moving The Island Back In Time = Losties Becoming Dharma Residents

Alright now here's a theory that actually kept me up last night so I could wrap my brain around it.
Spoiler: TPTB info
It's simple yet complicated, and freezes the donkey wheel.

I started thinking about what the hell The Orchid Station and moving the island have to do with each other. If Locke & Ben want to physically move the island, just sending it down a few nautical miles wouldn't stop Widmore from finding it. Maybe they'll try and sink it, and have it reach the unseen underground city? That idea was just too out of place for me, so I moved on.

What if they moved it throughout time? Ben said himself that moving the island was both dangerous and unpredictable, meaning that if they were to move it, the island and its' inhabitants could end up anywhere in time. I'm talking old Black Rock days, or possibly the future. Hell they might even move it to when Jack first awoke on the island in season 1, but that's not where I'm going with this.

Either by way of accident or just plain course bearings, I believe that the island will move back about 20 years or so, to the middle of The Dharma Initiative days. It was during these times that the protective electromagnetic shield was still in effect, thus making the island difficult to find. Now imagine people like Locke, Sawyer, Juliet, Charlotte, Miles, Daniel, Rose, Bernard and other red shirts all traveling back to the days when Dharma started working on their projects. Would they become scientists? Juliet, Daniel and a few others would be helpful. If they needed a dentist Bernard would be a shoe in. The kicker here is that Locke, who has such a communication with the island, always wanted to be the leader and do things in the island's best interest. Now, he has the opportunity to do what he tried to shun away in his youth; learning the ways of the island.

I believe this would be a really cool story to have running for season 5. Flashbacks and flashforwards wouldn't technically exist anymore because the format of the show could be the characters interacting with the D.I. in the 70's or 80's, while our Oceanic 6 members deal with life off the island at the exact same time. Does this occurance mean that no matter what anybody does in the past, the future will not change? Or will one of our Losties possibly be responsible for "the incident?" All I can say is course correction.

As cool as this theory may or may not be, there is the impending paradoxes that may occur. If Ben traveled back into a time where either he was a kid, or he was just starting to gain control, than that would cause a paradox if those two Bens met.
Spoiler: spoiler info not aired in episode
An example of this would be in the Orchid Orientation Video where the 2 bunnies were in the same room and Candle/Halowax/Wickman freaked out and hoped they wouldn't see each other.
What would happen if 2 Bens met at the same time? But think about this; In Ben's most recent centric episode, he landed in the desert seemingly wounded and possibly frightened. However, he wanted to make sure the date was correct with the clerk at the counter, asking if it was October 2005, meaning that if he were to travel back in time on the island and try to transport off of it, while time on Earth stayed the same he would end up in the future, which is still the present to us and The Oceanic Six.

Sayid's response to there being absolutely no way anyone could be left on the island might be due to possibly watching as the island just vanished, thinking it was gone forever, when it reality the cloak was put back on and it is just back in time. I believe Daniel knows exactly what The Orchid can do. In his journel above his drawing there is a phrase that said "space like factors" with some math, so I'm assuming the reason they have to leave isn't because of the people dying, but it's because he doesn't want to leave the present.

This also means we could re-meet people we never got the chance to fully understand. People like Tom, Ethan, Horace, Richard, and even Danielle. Her story has always been a mystery and now we might get a chance to find out what really happened to her crew.

Another paradox that's been bugging me is if people like Richard and his band of Others go back in time, most of those people were already there. Did Ben warn them about The Orchid about to be put to use? What would happen if one Richard meets another Richard? I honestly have no idea. I don't think space and time would bend itself, but I don't think one would cancel the other out either. I just think it would be great to see Sawyer, Miles, Faraday, Juliet and others having to dawn Dharma suits and learn answers to questions by living through them. Jin would be an interesting choice to go back too. I would be sad if Desmond went, only because he's been through so much on the island already, but Michael, never wanting to go back to the island, having to leave the boat due to the explosives, only to get sent back in time would be incredible.

So what needs to happen for The O6 to get back? Ben has to slip up and Sayid must uncover the fact of transporting to and from the island. While Sun's new plans to help find the island with Jack, Hurly, and maybe Kate need to come to fruition, Sayid would be the best candidate to go back to the island, find The Orchid, and put it back to its' original time, thus saving all our Lostie favorites.

To finish up here, some may be wondering how this relates
to the Frozen Donkey Wheel. Well think about last year's codename: The snake in the mailbox.
That wasn't relating to the characters on the island, that was related to us. We were so used to seeing flashbacks regularly (going to get your mail, something you do daily) that when the flashforward was involved you didn't expect to see it (just like you wouldn't expect a snake to be hanging out in your mailbox).
Now as far as the wheel from sir donkey that isn't melted, the progression of the island story is actually the thing that is frozen.
I hope this makes sense to you guys. If you dig it, awesome. If you want to add to it, fantastic. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading
- Greyson Flax

Mod note: spoiler tagged information not aired in episodes

Last edited by sandi; 05-17-08 at 11:37 AM. Reason: typo
The Man Behind The Fate is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-08, 07:34 AM   #2
JesusStick
Follows the Cable

Re: Moving The Island Back In Time = Losties Becoming Dharma Residents

Ok, your theory was a bit too much for me to process and comment on quite yet...but the part you considered and tossed away gave me a quick thought:
I hadn't considered what would happen if they island actually went under the water to move. And I would have no idea how that would work. But it did make me wonder - what new ships or boats would end up sitting smack dab in the middle of the island once it resurfaced????

That said - I agree with you that the island is going to shift in time. Going back to Dharma days is interesting, but the paradox involved makes me cringe.
Old 05-17-08, 09:49 AM   #3
John Charles
BANNED
Carries Big Stick

Tournaments Won: 1

I admire your effort.

I keep getting stuck on moving the island through time as you propose it. If they go back 20 years and meet up with a flourishing Dharma, are they not merely be moving themselves through time? If so, it follows that the island doesn't actually move anywhere.

Conversely, if they move the island itself through time, then wouldn't the island remain as it is? How would the Dharma people suddenly appear on it?

Let's say you travel back in time 20 years. Would your body suddenly transform itself to the way it was 20 years ago... or instead would there be 2 of you running around - the current you and the 20 years ago you?

My thinking is that if the island traveled back 20 years, then there'd be 2 islands, the one with Dharma and the one with Locke.
John Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-08, 11:36 AM   #4
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

I had to spoiler tag information from TPTB and information not aired in an episode. This could turn into an interesting discussion and I'm asking everyone to spoiler tag anything not aired in an episode. Failing that, I'll have to move it to the spoiler area which I don't want to do. IMO, I think this can be discussed without bringing in spoiler info.
sandi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-08, 01:28 PM   #5
nicholas urfe
Pushes the Button

oh I definitely think it's temporal .

that's why it's so hard to find anyway - it's not in sync temporally with the rest of the world .

but it's currently about 30 minutes out .

I don't really believe they could go back decades , it would be too complicated dramatically , I can see them jumping forward a few years maybe .
nicholas urfe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-08, 11:35 PM   #6
scotpgot
bottle rockets
Brainwashed in Room 23

Send a message via AIM to scotpgot Send a message via MSN to scotpgot Send a message via Yahoo to scotpgot Send a message via Skype™ to scotpgot
Re: + Moving The Island Back In Time = Losties Becoming Dharma Residents

I've been thinking about this as well.

Unfortunately, I think the problem I have with this theory is that we are all constantly moving through time, albeit in one direction. As the poster above noted, sending something forward or backward in time does not necessarily change its current location in the other 3 dimensions.

Now, if they go back in time in order to change something, that's another story. But then we bring up the paradoxes. I rather believe in the opposite theory of paradoxes, that if someone goes back in time, they CAN'T change anything that would create a paradox (such as cloaking the island in the future, so that the freighter never finds it, negating the need to go back in time in the first place).

Although it would be slick to see Ethan and Boone and Shannon all over again...I just don't see it happening.
Old 05-18-08, 11:46 PM   #7
Houkou
ಠ_ಠ
Drinks Dharma Beer

One question:

Spoiler: Um
What the heck is a 'frozen donkey wheel'?? o_o

I like the theory, but I don't see how it saves the island as it is now, if it's still physically as it is, and everything would have to happen anyway to prevent a paradox (or two or three or..). It would make for an awesome season theme though.
Houkou is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-08, 10:46 PM   #8
The Man Behind The Fate
Pushes the Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houkou View Post
One question:

Spoiler: Um
What the heck is a 'frozen donkey wheel'?? o_o

I like the theory, but I don't see how it saves the island as it is now, if it's still physically as it is, and everything would have to happen anyway to prevent a paradox (or two or three or..). It would make for an awesome season theme though.

Spoiler: TPTB offscreen info
"frozen donkey wheel" was the codename that TPTB used for the finale, as in the season before it was "the snake in the mailbox."

Thank you guys a lot for the feedback. I can explain a little more if you wish:

Think of the island like a computer. If something goes terribly wrong with your computer, as in a virus that can't be stopped, the best way to fix the situation would be to do a System Restore. That's what I think will happen to the island. If the island "system restores" it will go back to a time where everything was peaceful and nothing terribly wrong happened.

Also, when you think about a system restore, it changes programs and downloaded content but doesn't change newly written documents. Think of the island as the computer and the people who are left as documents. Back in time, well really back before Desmond hit the fail safe, the island was shielded from all humanity (even God can't see the island, as said by Ben), and when you saw that bright purple light, I truly believe that was the shield being broken. Hopefully this clears up things a little bit.

Also, If any of the Oceanic 6 realize what happened, going with my time traveling theory, and especially if Ben knows, than someone can try to use Ben's tunisia portal to go back to island time (which would be 80's ish) and use The Orchid once more to bring the island back to the present.

Thanks again for the positive comments and feedback. I really appreciate it everyone!

Last edited by sandi; 05-23-08 at 11:24 PM.
The Man Behind The Fate is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-08, 12:13 AM   #9
sawyerhasbestlines
Dept. of Clone Health & Zombie Hygiene
Sees Walt

Location: waiting for the next Christian and Ethan resurrection

I've been thinking about this too. I'm assuming the island has been moved a few times in the last 30 years or at least to the time Kelvin's first hatch-mate started punching in the numbers. How long ago did that start?

If the island has been moved then they could pick a time that takes it to one of those locations. I'm assuming that their ages wouldn't get changed, just that whoever is stuck on it, is stuck on it, like the polar bears.
sawyerhasbestlines is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-08, 02:44 PM   #10
carmela
Talks Backwards

I like this. There are some inconsistencies but its a fascinating theory. I would love to watch this play out in Season 5: the islanders now XX years in the past as Dharma-ites.

Quote:
Now, if they go back in time in order to change something, that's another story. But then we bring up the paradoxes.
It make senses that they would go back in time to change something...but what? Desmond's failure to press the button? the crash of Flight 815? Charlie in the Looking Glass?
carmela is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »