Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Better Call Saul - AMC Monday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 03-29-16, 06:44 PM   #171
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button

Re: Better Call Saul - AMC Monday

Hoping to catch up soon but just a couple of comments about Bali Hai.

Kim, who was so appalled that Jimmy faked evidence, now initiates the Giselle and Viktor dance to a dangerously illegal level. Getting a check for a fraudulent investment is a lot worse than having Ken Wins buy you vodka. I hate to say it but -- isn't that close to what Chuck was warning her about?

So there's the drinks Bali Hai and Moscow Mule in their distinctive cups, and Jimmy's distinctive yellow go-cup. It may not be sensible but it makes Jimmy-sense for him to take a crowbar to the nice car's cupholder. Gotta fit that (metaphorically) square peg into the white shoe law firm's round hole even if it breaks.

Plus, Mr. Bill, you can't get cucumber water if you sleep in your closet I'd agree that there's some stretching of reality going on but still...

Mike knew taking the gun charge wouldn't be the end of his dealings with the Salamancas. I think he figured it was, in for a penny, in for a pound so he should go for the pound. By demanding such a high payoff, Mike was demonstrating not only that Hector had to respect him but also that his value (as a man who commands respect rather than the geezer Tuco had taken him for) to the cartel is worth more. Mike, perhaps unfortunately in the long run, shows he's a good investment.
Pi-o-my is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-16, 10:23 PM   #172
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Yes, in the world of Saul, it all makes perfect sense.

In this episode ... "Inflatable"( lol), I loved the montage with the Sky Dancer as the inspiration for Jimmy's hilarious and colorful attempt to get fired from D&M and sets him on his course to Saul.

I also liked the opening scene with Jimmy as a kid. Great job by the props people - we know precisely the year from the magazine rack (1973). Interesting how street smart Jimmy is at that age. I hope he's just holding that money for his dad so he doesn't give it away. Sure..

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-16, 03:37 PM   #173
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button

In addition to the magazine rack, two clever bits of design -- Placed between Jimmy's dad and the man conning him is a large Coke sign announcing "It's the real thing." Then, as the guy leaves with his Kools, we see a rack of potato chip bags, with the brand repeated dozens of times, ConnConnConn.

More important (aside from Jimmy's "sweeping" the floor) is little Jimmy's awareness that his father is a known soft touch and is, yes, Mr. Bill, giving away the store. So we have to wonder how much of Chuck's version of its bankruptcy was from Jimmy's hand in the till. (The money he took --in this instance, anyway-- was cash the conman supposedly didn't have to spend there, though now they're out the wholesale cost of the two cartons.)

But it may be a good thing for Kim's sake that Chuck warned her to keep some distance between "W" and "M." On the other hand, I did get a bit of a chill when Scweiker (who was shredding documents when we met him last season) asked about what Kim "wanted" in the context of "sheep and wolves, which will you be?"

I figured Jimmy kept the tags on his "colorful" wardrobe items and we'd see him return them but it looks like there's some honesty hanging from the walls of his tiny space. Maybe.

Meanwhile, what's Mike up to, watching the (speaking of colorful) place where Hector holds court?
Old 04-04-16, 06:50 PM   #174
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

S02E08 - "Fifi"
Monday - April 4, 2016
AMC 10/9c

Spoiler: Episode Description & Promo

Mike is determined to settle the score with a dangerous adversary. Meanwhile, an unexpected opportunity to gain a competitive edge falls in Jimmy's lap. (Source)
Old 04-07-16, 02:15 AM   #175
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Only two more episodes and we are headed for showdowns on multiple fronts.

Jimmy, Jimmy, how many times has Kim said that she can take care of herself? We're headed for a major crash here since Jimmy can't seem to stay out of her business and he never thinks of the ramifications. Just like the crap he pulled with his ad which landed Kim in the dog house. It's interesting that Kim and Jimmy started this episode literally at the "Dog House" (which I guess is a little classier "Der Wienershnitzel"), to discuss their plans of opening an office together. I guess it could also mean that Kim is finally outside of the "Dog House". Unfortunately it looks like that is exactly where they're headed if Jimmy's scheme blows up in his face and sinks Kim as well.

Speaking of ads, I loved the comic interlude in front of "Fifi", the last airworthy B-29. Fudge was hilarious - he reminded me of Abe Vigoda's "Fish". It seems like Jimmy's college film crew has mellowed out slightly with less whining.

Whoever wrote the speech that Chuck gave to the Mesa Verde folks should be writing Presidential campaign speeches. I was sold. That was so good and it was actually believable that Chuck could come up with that on the drive over. He sacrificed a lot and gave it his all to appear normal and prevent those clients from going over into Jimmy's sphere of influence. I loved that it cost him as he collapsed in his electro-shock haze after the clients left.

On the Mike front, things are heating up towards a major confrontation with Hector, or at least hitting him in his business. Loved the opening of the episode with the single unbroken shot that follows the Ice cream truck through the US / Mexico border. You could tell that the old Breaking Bad pros were in charge of that shot.

Another great episode, looking forward to the next..

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Old 04-07-16, 06:13 PM   #176
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button

Mr. Bill, you're right on about Kim not wanting Jimmy to "save" her. IIRC, that Dog House is where Jesse bought a gun early on in BB, and, toward the end, where he was passing out cash.

Yes, the film students have learned that whining is useless against Jimmy. They also are working with "no permits, capisce?" which ties in perfectly with what Jimmy fudges with while Chuck sleeps off his own misdeed. Loved that Chuck says "If our roles were reversed" right after Jimmy has reversed the two numbers. Gotta say, Jimmy's skill with an Exacto is impressive.

The wheelchair dolly contrasts beautifully with the opening's oner. Hector's operation moving so smoothly, until a small bug rambles onto his highway. That little popsicle stick graveyard ("From our family to yours") was a nice touch.

Meanwhile, Mike ends the episode watching His Girl Friday. Its plot resonates with Jimmy trying to win Mesa Verde back: Cary Grant is trying to woo Rosalind Russell back from Ralph Bellamyvia some fudge of his own.
Old 04-07-16, 06:29 PM   #177
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Loved the Kinko's montage. I flashed back to some of my own Kinko marathons with whiteout and exacto knives.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Old 04-07-16, 06:45 PM   #178
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
Loved the Kinko's montage. I flashed back to some of my own Kinko marathons with whiteout and exacto knives.
Yeah, I had a "graphic design" internship once upon a time that involved a lot of that.

I'm hoping that all those Hamlindigo Blue post-its stayed in Jimmy's pocket until he could get someplace unrelated to dump them. But it won't matter because unless he has a way (hey, maybe he actually has thought this through) to slip the correct documents back into Chuck's folders later, it's going to be obvious who's at fault. So, revenge, yes, but trouble, too. And even with those soundproofed walls, Kim's going to be dragged in.
Old 04-07-16, 08:16 PM   #179
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

^ Pi-o-my, I'm grateful that you didn't modify my quote ("fixed it for you ..") that was frequently done by certain members of the forum.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Old 04-12-16, 01:48 AM   #180
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

S02E09 - "Nailed"
Monday - April 11, 2016
AMC 10/9c

Spoiler: Episode Description & Promo

Mike is methodical in his mission; and Chuck's capabilities are called into question. Meanwhile, Jimmy is suddenly faced with a very personal dilemma. (Source)
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »